Solaris X86 - thrashing in glib event loop?

hi!
this is a somewhat vague question, which i apologize for. i'm just trying for suggestions of where i should look to find my glitch:

gtk-2.2.1

i am running on a dual processor x86 solaris 8 box, and my gtkmm application seems to spend a lot of time thrashing in the glib event loop. truss reveals lots of this:

ioctl(4, FIONREAD, 0x0804657C)            = 0
gettimeofday(0x08046584)            = 0
poll(0x0832D400, 2, 0)                = 0
gettimeofday(0x080465A4)            = 0
ioctl(4, FIONREAD, 0x0804657C)            = 0
gettimeofday(0x08046584)            = 0
poll(0x0832D400, 2, 0)                = 0
gettimeofday(0x080465A4)            = 0

top reports my cpu usage at around 60%, which seems very high for the amount of processing that is going on. has anyone run into a similar situation? if so, can you suggest things i might be doing wrong?

thanks!
-tim