Re: need entry widget to dynamically resize to fit contents

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:21:29 -0500
Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 13:15:32 EST, george young <gry ll mit edu>  said:
> > [gtk-2.2.0, pango-1.2.0, pygtk-1.99.14, python-2.3a1, linux]
> > I need a gtk2 entry widget to expand (and hopefully contract too)
> > so as to always display just the text it contains.  It is critical
> > that all the text be visible, not scroll out of sight.  I'm using a
> > monospace font.  Is there some neat way to do this?
>
> What's the desired behavior if the text goes out-of-range in size?  For
> instance, if you're using a 8x10 monospace font, the window is 400x200,
> and the display is 800x600, what should happen if your text exceeds 50x20
> or 100x60 chars in size?  And if you have something like:
>
> ||    label   |input area|    ||    (where || is a window edge)
>
> what should happen to the label if 'input area' grows enough to push it off
> the screen?

The window should simply expand as far as necessary.  The application's main window
is inside a scrolled window, so the user can manually scroll if need be --
(and this is important): manually scroll to see part of the window the scroll bars
tell her are obscured.  A *fixed* width gtk_Entry does not provide any visual cue
when some data is obscured.

In practice, the awkwardness of dealing with a data window much wider than
the screen will sharply curtail user's verbosity, so I don't worry too much
about people writing War&Peace in a gtk.Entry.  The application provides
other places to enter long multi-line verbiage.

-- George
--
 I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is
 not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific they seem. Ah,