Re: Querying the desktop dimension (size) from the WM

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 12:52, Nils O. SelÄsdal wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 17:21, Hans Kramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you call gdk_window_maximize, your window will be neatly (I guess
> > depending on the actual window manager) maximized taking into account
> > the panels a user has running.
> > Looking at the code I show that this is handled by the window manager.
> > My question now is: is it possible to just obtain (query) only the
> > dimension of the available desktop from the WM. Thus without actually
> > having to maximize a window! (I would like to have two toplevel windows
> > occupying the whole available desktop ;-)
Thanks for you response Nils,

> Maybe you want one of
> gtk_window_unfullscreen  (GtkWindow *window);
> gtk_window_set_type_hint  (GtkWindow *window, GdkWindowTypeHint hint);
> with GdkWindowTypeHint beeing GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DESKTOP
I might want to look into gtk_window_set_type_hint... However, still
don't see what it will do for me.

> or the
> gint        gdk_screen_width                (void);
> gint        gdk_screen_height               (void);
These won't work because they give me the dimension of the root window.
Still I have to find a way to subtract the panel dimension from it....

Hans.