Re: Motif vs. GTK+

That's interesting. I've not tested gtk2 vs. Motif, but when I ported my Motif application to gtk1.2, I saw roughly a factor of 10 speed up for application start (loading a complex workspace went from 30s to 3s, as I recall). When I moved my app to gtk2, it about halved in speed, but I'd still expect it to beat Motif by a factor of 5.

Of course it depends what the benchmark is. As you say, gtk2 has much more sophisticated text rendering and layout, so if there's a lot of text, I guess Motif would probably pull ahead. My app created a lot of widgets, and widget creation is extremely expensive on Xt based toolkits (especially if you have a lot of XtResources).

Melvin Hadasht wrote:
But I do not agree with "much faster", if with that is meant the "user interactivity, displaying widgets, scrolling". Even if AA is not enabled, and the default theme is used, Motif is faster. But on modern hardware (1Ghz and more CPU), the difference may not be visible and the relative slowness is not felt. On old hardware (266Mhz), the relative slowness is visible, but is still really useable. Gtk1.2 had the same responsiveness compared to Motif, but Gtk2.x is slower.