Re: Motif vs. GTK+

I used to be a Motif person, I switched about 5 years ago.

Gtk+1.2 vs. Motif wasn't very clear-cut and could be argued each way (from a business user's perspective). Gtk+2.x beats Motif easily in every respect ... think of a Motif feature: gtk2 is better. Better support, better portability, better internationalisation, much better looking, better font rendering, much faster, *much* better API, wide range of language bindings, themeable, more widely used, better tool chain, active development community, much more comprehensive supporting libraries, the list goes on and on.
I googled a bit too and couldn't find an up-to-date comparision document. I suppose this is because there isn't really an easy comparision to be made any more.

Maybe you could take a small app which your company maintains and do a quick port to gtk? It should be easy to demonstrate the advantages.

Amit BHATNAGAR wrote:
I've google'd a bunch and searched thru the archives, but
nothing out there explains -why- one should consider GTK
beside the good old "Motif is outdated" argument.

If such a thing exists, or if you have any suggestions, please
let me know.