GTK Install help...PLEASE

Title: securance_1

I am trying to install glib2.2 & gtk1.2.10.  I believe I have correctly installed glib.  I follow the direction on the install of gtk and when I enter ./configure I get the following error message:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required.

My system is Redhat 9 Pro.  Both packages are being installed from /usr/local/bin.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!