Re: text looks different on different displays

>Well, unless I've not had enough caffeine yet, xft rendering gets done at the
>machine that is running the program, and as such you get stuck with the font
>vagarities on THAT machine rather than the display machine, so you should get
>consistent results across displays on different boxes...

xft does not replace the original X font system, it sits alongside
it. at least, that's my experience.

applications that don't know about fontconfig and all that stuff are
still stuck with the ugly set of non-anti-aliased, confusingly named
fonts that xlsfonts prints out.

--p

 (wanting emacs, rxvt, and others to use xft natively)