Steps to support japanese in GTK 2.0

Hi All,
I am new to GTK. I want to enter and display Japanese
characters in GTK. I don't know what are the packages
required for this support.
Could anybody help me answering the following
1. Where to support the kernel level or GTK
   level.(I Linux)
2. Do I need to install packages in Linux to support
3. How to map english keyboard to support different

Some questions might not be related to GTK but
somebody who has supported japanese in GTK might know
the answers.

Thanks in advacne.

Ramdhan Singh