gtkoptionmenu quirks

Hey,

I have a couple little things that are weird with my option menus.  One is
that when you click on them, there is white space at the top of the list
before the menu items start.  When you scroll all the way down, this white
space disappears.

The other is that by default they resize themselves to the size of the
default menu item, but when you choose another item, it resizes to a more
standard size.  Is there a way to do this second resize automatically so the
widget doesnt resize itself?  For example, if the default item is "Green",
then it will have to make itself larger when you select a longer work like
"Yellow".

Audrey