Signals - newbie

Hello,

I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused regarding
gtk_object_class_user_signal_new. Has it been deprecated? I noticed that it
is documented in 1.2's API (with no mention of future deprecation), but that
there is little mention of it in the 2.0 API reference short of a brief
paragraph in the signals section. Also, running cat * | grep
gtk_object_class_user_signal_new in the gtk directory is returning nothing.

I would really rather avoid rewriting all of the widgets to support the
signals that I need them to, not only because of time issues, but also
because it seems like a very very bad idea. Is there some other way to that
I'm (quite likely) missing?

Thanks for any help

Brooke