Re: succeeded in Xscreensaver+GTK on Solaris 2.8

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 07:00, Utku Ozcan wrote:
> I have been able to install Xscreensaver-4.09 (the latest version as
> of the date when I have sent this mail), with GTK+-2.2.1 on Solaris 2.8.
> It was really a tiring job, therefore I want to share what I have done to
> be able to install this tool:
>
> 1. Platform is Sun Solaris 2.8.
>
> 2. C Compiler is GCC v3.2 (http://gcc.gnu.org)
>
> 3. Not to mention, I have installed make-3.80, m4-1.4, autoconf-2.57,
> automake-1.7.3 (http://www.gnu.org). Some tarballs require "aclocal-1.4"
> instead of "aclocal" and "automake-1.4" instead of "automake" in $PATH,
> therefore I have manually created symbolic link to "aclocal-1.4" and
> "automake-1.4". (I don't know if this is automatically done-able during
> installation of these programs)

m4, autoconf, and automake are _not_ needed. Don't run autogen.sh
when compiling from the distributed tarball. These tools
are only needed if you are modifying the configure scripts.

> "configure" script of autoconf, automake produces such Makefile's,
> in which they have PERL= identifier to show the full path of Perl. I have
> renamed it with "PERL = <perl-path> -I<perl_package_path>".
> The configure-make dance could not generate the -I option correctly,
> therefore I had developed just a small Perl script that is run between
> "configure" and "make" of the tools above. This can be done
> in all tarball installations, where Makefile's have this feature.

Sounds like you have a broken installation of Perl. If your
perl needs -I .. to work, it is simply not correctly installed.

> 4. zlib-1.1.4 has been installed (http://www.gzip.org/lib).
> It is dependency of libpng.
>
> 5. libpng-1.2.5 has been installed (http://http.libpng.org).
> It is dependency of gtk.
>
> 6. libtiff-3.60-beta has been installed (http://www.libtiff.org).
> It is dependency of gtk.
> Its installation cannot copy *.h header files in tarball, to <--prefix>/include
> directory. that's why GTK configure complains about it with "Cannot load
> TIFF Loader...". Therefore I have manually copied all header files,
> because each header calls the other. Also, I have copied libjpeg.a manually,
> to <--prefix>/lib directory.

Please read the instructions about setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS in:

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.2/gtk/gtk-building.html

> 7. JPEG library jpegsrc-6b has been installed (ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/).
> It is dependency of gtk and Xscreensaver.
> Its installation cannot copy *.h header files in tarball, to <--prefix>/include
> directory. That's why GTK configure complains about it with "Cannot load
> JPEG Loader...". Therefore I have manually copied all header files, because
> each header calls the other. Also, I have copied libjpeg.a manually, to
> <--prefix>/lib directory.
> Another workaround has just been announced, which was the best one,
> but it was too late for me to try it:
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2003-April/msg00024.html)

I very much doubt that would be useful. (The person writing that
mail had a much easier fix available .. simply install the
libjpeg-devel package.)

> 8. libtool-1.4.3 has been installed (http://www.gnu.org).

Again, not needed.

> 9. pkg-config 0.15.0 has been installed
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/).
> It is the dependency of glib.
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable -must- be set to
> <--prefix>/lib/pkgconfig directory. This is required by gtk.
>
> Before "configure-make" dance, add the three lines stated in README file,
> to the end of configure.in.

That's a misreading of the README file. The README file is
describing how to modify your own program to use pkg-config.

If you actually added those lines to pkg-config's configure.in,
I'm surprised you managed to get it installed.

[...]

> It took 2 months for me to understand to flow above.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble installing GTK+. I do think that
some careful reading of the installation guide, as mentioned above
would have saved you a lot of trouble.

Regards,
                                             Owen