Relocatable GTK 2.0

I'm currently in the middle of a project that needs to have GTK
relocatable.  Currently I build GTK with --prefix=/opt but the resulting
libs, etc.. can be stored just about anywhere on the filesystem (the
program must be installable by non-root).  Also, I need to be able to
skin the interface (currently using gtkrc).

>From the documentation, it seems like using module_path pointing to
where the theme engines are stored should work, but that directive is
now ignored and I can't find any documentation on what replaces it.

Is there anywhere that describes how this can be done?

Paul