Re: gtk+-2.0.6 not compiling

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Amir Caspi wrote:

> Indeed, I made the change you recommended (removing the "const"
> keywords), and that part now links just fine.  BUT I got yet another
> linker error, this time on a different test program and on symbol
> "gtk_text_unknown_char_utf8."  Turns out this is also a const in
> gtktexttypes.h/.c ... and running 'nm' on the libraries shows it's local
> (just like the previous problem-causing symbols).
> I removed the 'const' keyword on that one and it fixed that one,
> too.  *NOW* it finally finished building!  Should this other unreferenced
> symbol be reported in bugzilla, too?

I think this was mentioned in one of the earlier threads.  You may also like
to change gtk_binary_age and gtk_interface_age as well in case they're ever
used.

> I wonder, would putting an extern keyword someplace help, rather than
> de-consting?  Except you can't have an extern const, can you...

Removing const (and in fact any modification to the source code) is just a
quick hack to get around a problem with the toolset.  As discussed in the
bug report (#81232) this should ultimately be fixed there rather than worked
around in the code.

> There are so many warnings from gcc and ld that I'm wondering how this
> release counts as "stable." =)

I haven't actually used it much on Solaris but on Linux it seems to be
pretty rock-solid at run-time (at least for my applications anyway).

> Thanks for the help!

No problem,
Richard.