Re: drawing area transparency

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 09:53:58PM +0700, Blowfish wrote:
> i've figure out that setting back pixmap with NULL
> filename will make the drawing area transparent...

That doesn't make it transparent, it just means the X server will
leave whatever bits happen to be in the framebuffer when the drawing
area is exposed (vs. automatically filling in a solid background color
or a pixmap). i.e. background of NULL makes the contents of the
newly-exposed drawing area undefined, not transparent.

>  but how
> can i update the transparency when i move my window ???

You can't because the X server has not stored the contents of the
stuff "under" your drawing area. Those pixels have flat-out been
deleted, they are gone, there is no way to display them.

X is being extended as we speak to fix this, but until then, the only
"transparency" is a shape mask on the toplevel window.

Havoc