Newbie: Getting the associated tags of a text

Hi,

is there an easy way of getting the information where
tags in a GtkTextBuffer start and end?

Suppose you have a text with parts attributed by a
"bold" tag and parts attributed by a "italic" tag. How
can I get the information:

This is normal text <b>Here starts the bold text</b>,

I looked for a way to maybe get a kind of tree
structure where the different nodes contain parts of
the whole text and are associated with a tag so
iterating through the tree would give the above
results, but my search wasn't successful.

Is there a smart solution to my problem???

Thanks in advance

Markus

Yahoo! präsentiert als offizieller Sponsor das Fußball-Highlight des
Jahres: - http://www.FIFAworldcup.com