alternating row color with GtkCTree

Hello,

I'ld like to know if anyone has some sample code or can point me as to
how to color alternate rows in a GtkCTree (set background and
foreground) and keep them alternating even when the nodes in the tree
are expanded or collapsed.

Basically, I want to provide the same feature you see in Evolution or
the gtk-demo for Gtk 2.0 in which each row has a slightly different
color and they continue to be alternating colors even when new rows show
up when expanding a node or ones get hidden when a node is collapsed.

If I could tell which rows are being displayed, I could alternate the
row colors and then catch "tree-collapse" and "tree-expand" signals and
re-alternate the colors from the row collapsed/expanded down to the end
of the list.

The thing is, I am not sure how to tell which "rows" in a GtkCTree are
being displayed.

Anyone know a better way?

--
regards,