Gtk2 crashes X server hard with NVidia drivers

Hello,
I've experienced the problem that my X server crashes hard, i.e. only
reboot by SysRq is possible, when I use the gtk-test "Images" demo - it
crashes the moment the example wants to draw the transparent
progressively loading image - and when I use nautilus 2.

This happens only with nvidia drivers 2xxx. I haven't got 1xxx around,
but the nv and vga drivers don't crash.

Somehow I suspect that this is related to the RENDER extension being
broken somehow in the nvidia drivers.

System is: Pentium 3, GeForce 1, XFree 4.1, gtk+ 2.0.2 (Debian Woody)

Can anybody with a similar system confirm or deny this problem?
Many thanks.

Benjamin