INstalling GTK (PING Sven)

I have decided to reinstall gtk+2.0.2 as I was having problems with my old
installation.

Now after installing glib, pango and atk to /opt/GTK, I cannot install GTK
iteself as I get this message:

checking compiler support for MMX... yes
checking for freetype-config... (cached) no
configure: error: pangoxft Pango backend found but did not find freetype
libraries

The strange thing is that I have just installed the development  version of
the freetype libraries and they are there, otherwise I should have problems
with Qt (I had such problems).

What is goning wrong?

--
TIA,