Non dialog gtkfileselector

I have created a non dialog version of the gtkfileselector to use "embedded"
in my application.
This is currently a gtk1.2 version. I copied the gtkfileselection widget and
renamed
all the parts like GtkFileselection to another name so I won't have any
conflicts with
the original file selection widget. This widget works on Suns and Linux
boxes but
SGI the directory tree gets all messed up when you double click a directory.
Example

if the dirlist shows the following

./
../
dir1/
dir2/

and I doubleclick dir2 I will get something close to this instead of any
subdirectories in dir2

./
../
./ ./
./ ../
../dir1
../dir2

I am beginning to think this is a special compiler option for the SGI I am
missing
because the normal file selection widget works.