Re: Please help---- Understand Concepts

    Lynn> What is the different between WxWindow and GTK+ ?  Are they
    Lynn> related ?

wxWindows is a cross-platform GUI library that is ported on top of the
native toolkit on the various platforms on which it runs.  This has the
advantage that each application looks and behaves like other applications on
the platform.  The drawback (if there is one - I've not used it) is that you
can tend to wind up with a "lowest common denominator" toolkit.  This may be
fine for many applications, but authors who need to do esoteric stuff are
likely to be a bit disappointed.

A toolkit like Gtk has the advantage that the same application looks the
same everywhere (and it makes it a bit easier to write the non-GUI portions
portably).  However, a Gtk application running on Windows won't look the
same as other Windows applications developed using the native Windows
toolkit.  You can theme it to make it appear similar, but some widgets that
people use all the time (like file dialogs) won't behave the same.

There is a strong argument that Gtk should do what's right, not necessarily
what's compatible.  I'm not arguing one way or the other above, just making
an observation.

    Lynn> I have one single source helloWorld.c (using GTK+) ...  Can I run
    Lynn> this same source helloWorld.c on Win32 ?

Probably.  Just download and install the Windows version of Gtk+, then
compile and link your application code against it.

    Lynn> What should I use WxWindow or GTK++ to create a single source code
    Lynn> that can be run on SGI, Linux and Win32 ?

I don't think you've presented enough information for anyone here to make a
recommendation one way or the other, though I suspect most people here would
lean toward Gtk, this being a Gtk mailing list and all...

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com - http://www.mojam.com/)