How to set the combo box item

I'm using a combo box in one of my applications. I can set it up fine, and
it works ok. I am just wondering if there is a way to set what item is
selected? For example, I might want the combo box to automatically select a
certain item based input from other widgets. I looked through the docs and
header files and I didn't see anything like this.

Additionally, I'm a bit confused about what widgets I can directly access in
the combo struct.

The tutorial says you can use the entry widget:  "Now, if you want to set
the string in the entry section of the combo box, this is done by
manipulating the entry widget directly:"

However, the documentation
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/gtk/gtkcombo.html#GTKCOMBO-STRUCT) says
you shouldn't change the entry or the list directly

Finally, to add to the confusion, the header file says that *only* the entry
and the list should modified.

Maybe I'm being too picky? Just a bit confused on what things I should and
shouldn't be doing to the widgets :)

-Andy