How to render text to a drawable? (gtk+ 1.3)

Hi everyone,

I'd done a bit of programming with gtk+ 1.2 (but not much), and I am
working on a new project using gtk 1.3.  I have a pixmap that I simply
need to render some text to.  gdk_draw_text is deprecated, so I assume
we are supposed to use pango.

I see a pango_x_render, which lets you render to an X drawable, but I
don't see any gdk equivalent.  I suppose I could fetch the X drawable
from gdk but it seems to me the _right_ way to do this shouldn't be that
convoluted.  I'm convinced I'm missing something.  Can anyone help?

Best,
Jason.