creating a pixmap from grey values

i have two little problems and hope, someone can help me:

1.
i have an array with 256x256 8-bit grey values and want to put this image
in a gtk drawable. there is  no problem with gdk_draw_grey_image(), but the
x-server and my program runs on two different computers.
if i move the output-window on the screen, i must redraw it ( "resend" the
image from my program to the x-server)) - which takes too much time,
because the link between these 2 machines is really slow.
so i want to create a pixmap from my buffer, but i'd no success on that.

2.
my program should run on a sparc with sunos 4.1.4
i have build gcc 2.95.3 to compile gtk, because the native compiler sucks.
there are no problems with compiling glib-1.2.10, but the testglib only
dumps core. i tried linking it using the native (sunos) linker and also
with gnu-ld, but with no success. disabling thread support didn't helped
either.
so, i've tried to compile and test older versions of glib. the latest
version of glib i got testglib working from is 1.1.5, but this is too
old (i need gtk 1.2.10).
i cant update the os, because it's an old box used for medical
appliances i have no control over.

thanks in advance
randy rueckner