installation

After I have untar the file glib-1.2.9 I receive the following message while trying to configure using ./configure

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

what am I doing wrong because the file will not configure properly.

j.j.