Re: Problem: 256-colour mode on Windows

Hi,

thanks for the replies!

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 06:28:32PM +0200, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> ml writes:
>  > Gdk-ERROR **: Palettized display (256-colour) mode not
>  > supported on Windows.  aborting...
>
>  > If GDK_WIN32_ENABLE_BROKEN_PSEUDOCOLOR_VISUAL is set,
>  > everything looks ugly or is unusable (in Gimp).
>
> That's why it says it isn't supported;-)
>
> You mean, like from Microsoft (for it to be official) :-)? Is there any

No, I just meant a binary and source release that people
starting to use.  Beside the Gimp, there are some other
Gtk+ apps, that still use old versions where
GDK_WIN32_ENABLE_BROKEN_PSEUDOCOLOR_VISUAL doesn't work
(Dia, Ethereal, PyGTK).  Maybe the people just don't know
about the newer versions.  The word "official" was
misleading, sorry.

>  > Also, Java and Tcl/Tk are running fine in 256 colour mode.
>
> They also have much more resources, and their graphics APIs presumably
> weren't originally written to just thinly hide Xlib?

Btw, does anybody know about Qt under win32 in 256 colour
mode?

> Patches gratefully accepted. There is some code in there to handle
> 256-colour mode (as you noticed, that is used only if that
> GDK_WIN32_ENABLE_BROKEN_PSEUDOCOLOR_VISUAL environment variable is
> set). But it's been a long time since I have bothered to look at it. I
> can't say how badly broken it is, whether just patching here and there
> would work, or whether starting from scratch is the only option.

There is a small possibility, that some company I work for,
wants to use PyGTK/PyGlade for a certain application.  In
this case, I will try to make them sponsor a patch.  But one
has to find a capable person.

Cheers!