Re: Problem: 256-colour mode on Windows

ml writes:
 > does anybody work an support for pseudocolours on Windows?

Not as far as I know.

 > Gdk-ERROR **: Palettized display (256-colour) mode not
 > supported on Windows.  aborting...

 > If GDK_WIN32_ENABLE_BROKEN_PSEUDOCOLOR_VISUAL is set,
 > everything looks ugly or is unusable (in Gimp).

That's why it says it isn't supported;-)

 > Btw.: Some Gtk+ win32 applications come with an older libgtk
 > version, that doesn't understand this variable.  A kind of
 > "official" win32 release would be cool.

You mean, like from Microsoft (for it to be official) :-)? Is there any
"official" GTK+ for Solaris, HP-UX or AIX? (Hmm, for Solaris I guess
there will be, as Sun will ship GNOME with Solaris 9.)

 > Has anybody a fix or an idea how to fix it?  I don't
 > understand the problem - even Microsoft got their widget
 > sets working.

Of course, their widget sets was written for it (or for 16-bit
graphics, even) from the beginning.

 > Also, Java and Tcl/Tk are running fine in 256 colour mode.

They also have much more resources, and their graphics APIs presumably
weren't originally written to just thinly hide Xlib?

 >  It's only Gtk+/Gdk that doesn't work here :-(>>>>

Patches gratefully accepted. There is some code in there to handle
256-colour mode (as you noticed, that is used only if that
GDK_WIN32_ENABLE_BROKEN_PSEUDOCOLOR_VISUAL environment variable is
set). But it's been a long time since I have bothered to look at it. I
can't say how badly broken it is, whether just patching here and there
would work, or whether starting from scratch is the only option.

--tml