Re: signal_connect depreciated ?

Hi,

Peter Van Osta <pvosta unionbio-eu com> writes:

> I apologize for this newbie question, but I have just started studying
> GTK and I want to try to compile the simple "helloworld.c" example on
> the gtk.org website
>
> http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ch-gettingstarted.html#SEC-HELLOWORLD
>
> I saved the source code into a C-file and tried to compile it as
> indicated. However I got the following error message:
>
> helloworld.c: In function `main':
> helloworld.c:55: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `signal_connect'
> helloworld.c:79: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `g_signal_connect_swapped'

you are most probably following a GTK+-2.0 tutorial and link against
GTK+-1.2.

Actually the tutorial is in a strange state. It mixes GTK+-2.0 and
GTK+-1.2 API:

    g_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (window), "destroy",
		      GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC (destroy), NULL);

that should be (for GTK+-2.0):

    g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "destroy",
		      G_CALLBACK (destroy), NULL);

IIRC, the tutorial is not fully converted to the new API yet and I
don't think the tutorial found on the web-site is supposed to be the
new one yet.

> I read somewhere that "g_signal_connect" is depreciated, but I have no
> clue what should be replacing it ?

g_signal_connect() and friends is the new GObject signal API. The
deprecated functions are gtk_signal_connect() and friends.

Salut, Sven