problem builduing gtk+2.0 (1.3.13)

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to GTK.  I'm attempting to build the latest
development release of gtk along with the supporting packages.  After building
the glib, atk, and pango packages, the gtk+2.0 configure script doesn't find
the pango package when pkg-config is called.  I've checked the /usr/lib/pkgconfig
directory and verified that pango.pc is there and pointing to the correct lib
and include dirs, but when I manually check for installed packages with pkg-config
only the glib and atk packages come up.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Payne
Sigma Solutions, Inc.
(775)544-3618