Re: GTK+-2.2.0 released

"John Miskinis" <miskinis hotmail com> writes:

> Hi Owen (and other GTK+ Folks),
>
> >Improved ports:
> >
> >  Much work has gone into the Microsoft Windows and
> >  Linux-framebuffer ports of GTK+ since the 2.0 release.
> >  These ports are substantially complete, and many applications
> >  developed for the X11 version of GTK+ are being used
> >  with these backends.
>
> I saw the GTK+ 2.2 release information, and it mentioned a
> lot of work has gone into "the microsoft windows" version.
> I'm little confused as whether or not refers to the X Server
> based GTK+ version, or the native version, or both.

I was referring to the native version; I'm not really aware
of anyone using X-server based GTK+ on Win32 ... the native
version works pretty well.

> I was planning to upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0.9 (Win32native
> version), but then saw 2.2 announcement.  Is there a version
> of 2.2 that I can use to run native on Win32?  (WIN98SE)
>
> I can't find anything on the FTP site, perhaps I'm looking
> in the wrong place(s).

It often takes Tor Lillqvist a little while to make up binary builds
of the Win32 port of GTK+; he's doing it completely in his spare
time. But all the work that has gone into 2.0.x is also in the 2.2.xf
branch.  I expect that he'll switch over to 2.2.x when he has a
chance to do a new build.

You probably want to use 2.0.9 until then -- building GTK+ for Win32
yourself is not for the faint of heart.  (In my experience;
experiences may vary.)

Regards,
                                        Owen