Re: installed gtk+2.2 and now python findings can't find gnome widgets

Dave Reed <dreed capital edu> writes:

> I installed the following in /usr/local/gtk2 of a Red Hat 8.0 system:
>
> pkgconfig-0.14.0.tar.gz
> glib-2.2.0.tar.gz
> pango-1.2.0.tar.gz
> atk-1.2.0.tar.gz
> gtk+-2.2.0.tar.gz
> libglade-2.0.1.tar.gz
> pygtk2 from CVS (as of tonight)

> I set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to:
> /usr/local/gtk2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
>
> inserted /usr/local/gtk2/bin at the front of my path and
> /usr/local/gtk2 at the front of my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> set my PYTHONPATH to:
> /usr/local/gtk2/lib/python2.2/site-packages
>
> And now my python app complains:
>
>  libglade-WARNING **: Could not load support for `gnome':
> /usr/lib/libgnome.so: undefined symbol: poptHelpOptions

You'd probably be better off asking this question on the
PyGTK mailing list; I don't think this problem is at all
related to GTK+-2.2. What seems to be happening is that
Python isn't finding the 'gnome' package in site-packages,
so it looks around and thinks /usr/lib/libgnome.so is the
best candidate.

Did you remove the 2.0 bindings from your system and not
compile in GNOME support for the 2.2 bindings?
(From other errors, it seems that your app is trying
to use a GNOME widget or two)

Regards,
                                        Owen