Re: installed gtk+2.2 and now python findings can't find gnome widgets

> Sender: otaylor fresnel devel redhat com
> Cc: gtk-list gnome org
> From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:45:34 -0500 (EST)
>

> Dave Reed <dreed capital edu> writes:
>
> > I installed the following in /usr/local/gtk2 of a Red Hat 8.0 system:
> >
> > pkgconfig-0.14.0.tar.gz
> > glib-2.2.0.tar.gz
> > pango-1.2.0.tar.gz
> > atk-1.2.0.tar.gz
> > gtk+-2.2.0.tar.gz
> > libglade-2.0.1.tar.gz
> > pygtk2 from CVS (as of tonight)
>

> > I set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to:
> > /usr/local/gtk2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
> >
> > inserted /usr/local/gtk2/bin at the front of my path and
> > /usr/local/gtk2 at the front of my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > set my PYTHONPATH to:
> > /usr/local/gtk2/lib/python2.2/site-packages
> >
> > And now my python app complains:
> >
> >  libglade-WARNING **: Could not load support for `gnome':
> > /usr/lib/libgnome.so: undefined symbol: poptHelpOptions
>
> You'd probably be better off asking this question on the
> PyGTK mailing list; I don't think this problem is at all
> related to GTK+-2.2. What seems to be happening is that
> Python isn't finding the 'gnome' package in site-packages,
> so it looks around and thinks /usr/lib/libgnome.so is the
> best candidate.
>
> Did you remove the 2.0 bindings from your system and not
> compile in GNOME support for the 2.2 bindings?
> (From other errors, it seems that your app is trying
> to use a GNOME widget or two)
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

I almost cross-posted it but decided to try here first. I just sent it
ot the pygtk list.

I don't think I did anything different than when I compiled gtk 2.0.9
a couple days earlier, but it's certainly possible.

I don't think there's a problem with gtk+ 2.2 - I just don't think I
installed something correctly.

Hopefully someone on the pygtk list will have an idea.

Thanks,
Dave