Menu Item drawing an accelerator

Hi,
I would like to add accelerator text to my menu items,
without actually using a real accelerator i.e I
would like to have: "Cut     Ctl-X" in the menu, but
do not want to define an accelerator.
For the moment I am setting the menu Item text
to "Cut___Ctl-X", where "___" is 3 space characters.
This does what I want, but looks rather ugly as
the "Ctl-X" is not right justified. I tried looking
through the GTK source to see how it is done,
but after a few hours I gave up. I am pretty new to
 GTK, and would appreciate it ifanyone could give
me some advice on how to do this.
Thanks
Allen.