Widget in a clist ?

I am sure I'm not the first person to come across this - I tried
searching the maillist archives before posting, but the search feature
seems to be broken right now.

I am working on an application where it would be really nice to be
able to put a button widget inside of a clist or ctree cell.

gtkctree contains the following tantalizing fragment:

    case GTK_CELL_WIDGET:
      /* unimplimented */
      break;

Is there any plan to implement this?  (Can I help?)

Are there any other alternatives?  I've been thinking about just
putting a pixmap which looks like a button into the clist, but getting
all of the event handling correct so that this really behaves like a
button is not completely trivial.  Another idea would be to write my
own widget from scratch, but this is also unattractive.

How have other people addressed this problem?

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

       -Charles