user interface

Hello.
I have been thinking of writing a program.
When that happens, i usually give a lot of time to think how i will do it and how it will look like, and make other functions before starting to write the interface, is this good practice?

Well, the point is, like 2 months ago, i had to use autocad to complete some homework. I like its interface. must gui i think are ugly because they require a lot of interaction with the mouse and clicking here and there.
I like typing commands better, even under a gui, for most applications. (browsing is one where most things need mouse, but there could be typed commands too, like "open: http://.....";)
Well, the point is, i was thinking of a window with an entry widget at the bottom, any aplhanumeric or not-ctrl/alt/ctrl+anything keystroke would end there. Is there a straight way to do it?
I though recognize each keyboard event on the main window, and then use a function to parse it and send it to the text entry. but i think it might not be a good idea.

any one have done something similar? thank you.

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
                                  =^..^=