Re: Playing song...!

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:27:22 +0000, Ananth A said:

>  Hey all, thanx for the response regarding playing song.
>
>  fine, Actually i wanted to play a song just by calling XMMX. how can i write
>  a function using system calls and how to attach to the button??
>
>  is that simple system call will work or i have to copy the full source code
>  in to my program and so on?

Don't forget to include the header files (#include <unistd.h>

>  and any one tell me using gtk+ if i develop any GUI, will it be helpful for
>  me in the future??? Meaning, whats the future of gtk+ (gui) developers?? i
>  feel, bcas this is very new to the market.

I think there is no doubt that GTK will survive. I mean, as long as developers
will use it :) .
The GTK/GLib libs are not so new on the market, and they become more and more
mature.
There is a port on windows working well ( hum, last time I used Windows was 3
years ago,
sure GTK should be fully supported by this not-exactly-an-OS.
I think there's also a port on Beos (and MacOS??)
GTK+ is free, anyone can use it, redistribute it, contribute to it's
development.
GTK+ is supported by a great number of programming languages (C/C++, Perl,
Python, Ada ...).
All this should be sufficient to make you sure it will not disappear in the
near future.

I encourage you to use GTK+ as your main GUI library, the more GUI developers
use it,
the more chance is one day everybody will have GTK on his computer.
And using GTK is a guarantee that it will be possible to port your app on
another OS,
without having to rewrite the whole graphic interface. Better, it must be
possible to have the same
source for everyone, using the compilation directives.

Regards
Tâm