Re: Statically linking

Hi,

Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe earthling net> writes:

> 	Also I would like to know how ft2 fonts can be used in gtk
> applications compiled against pango. Again it's not the problem in writing
> an application whch uses ft2 fonts but to tell any application linked
> against pango to use ft2 fonts. If this doesn't works it would make no
> sense to use pango at all !!!

Pango does a lot more than what you think it does, so it does make sense
to use it. Have you ever tried to get bilingual or any arabic/indic/...
text rendered correctly using FT2 alone?

GTK+-2.0 applications by default use whatever Pango context is allocated
by the GDK backend. For GTK+-X11 this is PangoX, GTK+-Win32 uses
Pango-Win32 and GTK+-LinuxFB as well as GTK+-DirectFB use PangoFT2.
I don't think there's a way to change this behaviour and I even believe
there's no way to make this doable (think about remote X11 displays for
example).

If you want your application to use FT2 fonts, you can allocate a
PangoFT2 context and use that. That is what GIMP-1.3 does for the its
new text tool (which is only rudimentary implemented at the moment).

Salut, Sven