Re: On GTK+-2.0

Dave Neary <dneary eircom net> writes:

> While on the subject, how difficult would it be to port an app
> which relies quite heavily on ggtk from gtk 1.2.8 to gtk 1.3.x
> now, and how much more could be changed between now & 2.0 in
> terms of the porting work? I know you're feature frozen (to some
> extent) - does this mean that you're API frozen too?

We're fairly frozen now, if you can stand a few minor API-change
annoyances and bugs you could go ahead and port. There will be some
small changes but nothing major. You may want to avoid GtkTreeView
which is in more flux than other things, though even that won't change
too massively probably.

Porting difficulty varies by app, many apps are close to compiling
as-is especially if you do -DGTK_ENABLE_BROKEN. Custom widgets are
more likely to break, though if you know how they are easy to fix.

BTW we'd welcome "porting reports" listing all incompatibilities that
came up while porting an app, if people want to send those to the list
or to members of the GTK team privately. Then we can be sure to
document those things.

Havoc