RE: installing 2.8

Does anyone know what the below solution was for.  Right now I am trying
         AGAIN to install GTK 1.2.8 on a sun solaris machine and I have
already installed GLIB 1.2.8 and that seemed to work fine.  However when I
install GTK 1.2.8 I run the ./configure --prefix=/somedir and run this I
get the message that "The test program failed to compile or link.  See the
file config.log for the exact error that occurred"  .  The log file says
that "configure: failed program was: #line 3180 'configure' "
any ideas?