New release of GTK+ libraries (1.3.6)
- From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- To: gnome-announce-list gnome org, gtk-list gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: New release of GTK+ libraries (1.3.6)
- Date: 14 Jun 2001 16:17:20 -0400
A new release of the development versions of GTK+ and associated
libraries (GLib, Pango, Atk) is available at:
The JPEG/PNG/TIFF libraries and pkg-config 0.7 are needed to compile this
release. These are available at:
(pkg-config latest canonical upstream location is
at http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/ - note that
it has moved from sourceforge. But gtk.org mirrors the
0.7 version you need to build GTK 1.3.6)
You will also need "libiconv" on systems with C libraries that lack
the iconv() function:
New all-in-one tarball
This release has an experimental all-in-one-tarball feature.
The gtk+-all-1.3.6.tar.gz file contains all four GTK+ libraries
(GLib, Pango, Atk, GTK+) and can be compiled with a single
"configure; make; make install" sequence.
GLib is the low-level core library that forms the basis of GTK+ and
GNOME. It provides data structure handling for C, portability
wrappers, and interfaces for such runtime functionality as an event
loop, threads, dynamic loading, and an object system.
Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an
emphasis on internationalization. It forms the core of
text and font handling for GTK+-2.0.
The ATK library provides a set of interfaces for accessibility.
By supporting the ATK interfaces, an application or toolkit can
be used such as tools such as screen readers, magnifiers,
and alternative input devices.
GTK+ is a widget toolkit for X and other windowing systems. It
is used in such projects as the GIMP and GNOME.
This release is meant for:
* Those interested in the development of GTK+.
* People planning to port to the upcoming GTK+-2.0 version of GTK+.
Note: the API is mostly frozen at this point. Major API changes
beyond the remaining open '2.0 API freeze' bugs in bugzilla are
unlikely to occur before GTK+-2.0 is released.
This is a an unstable preview release and should not be used in
production. Only minimal testing has been done, and we expect that
significant bugs and portability problems remain at this point.
This release is incompatible with GTK+ and GLib 1.2.x. Software that
has not been explicitly ported will not compile with this version. Do
not send bug reports about such compilation problems to either us or
maintainers of software that uses GLib and GTK+ 1.2.x; The currently
supported version of GLib and GTK+ is version 1.2.10.
If you install these libraries, do NOT replace your current GLib
and GTK+ packages with them; these libraries are designed so they
can be installed in parallel with a GTK+ install without affecting
Comments should be sent to:
GLib, GTK+: gtk-devel-list gnome org
Pango: gtk-i18n-list gnome org
ATK: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
Bug reports should be filed in the GNOME bug tracker at:
Source and binary packages of these libraries build against Red Hat
7.1 can be found at:
The source RPMS can most likely be rebuilt and installed on other
RPM-based Linux distributions.
Overview of Changes in GLib 1.3.6
* Threads have a "return value" from g_thread_join
* Removed ability to adjust thread stack size
* Prefix warnings with progname/PID by default, change toggle for this to
be an env variable G_MESSAGES_PREFIXED not a compile-time option
* GMarkup speedups
* GDate const, convenience fixups
* Include test cases that headers are compilable by C++ compiler
* Add ability to spawn processes with argv != executable path.
* g_strstr_len, g_strrstr, g_strrstr_len
* Add length argument to g_utf8_strchr and g_utf8_strrchr.
* Misc bug fixes
Overview of Changes in Pango 0.17
* Build/bug fixes
* Cursor motion is now by graphemes (logical editing units) rather than
* Optionally support jumping cursor instead of split cursor
Overview of Changes in Atk 0.2
* Some API tweaks
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.6
* Properly renders strikethrough text
* win32 fixes
* Added "scale" property to GtkTextTag and GtkCellRendererText to do
relative font scaling
* Added "format_value" signal to GtkScale to reformat value text
* framebuffer fixes
* Property support added to lots of widgets
* Many GtkTreeView new features and API/implementation fixes
* Lots of new_with_mnemonic() convenience functions
* Change GtkImageMenuItem API to be more consistent/useful
* Added lots of new stock items/icons
* Rewrote GtkRange/GtkScale/GtkScrollbar, includes support for
enabling/disabling extra scrollbar stepper arrows in gtkrc so NeXT
themes won't need broken hacks
* Convenience API for GtkRange similar to the one added to GtkSpinButton
a while back
* Make menubar/toolbar work properly with xthickness/ythickness of 1 or 0,
and move some attributes from program settings to user settings.
Allows nice 1-pixel-bevel themes.
* Moved ::focus virtual function from GtkContainer to GtkWidget
* Plenty of bug fixes
] [Thread Prev