Re: problem with gxid_lib

David Bourguignon <David Bourguignon imag fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I apologize in advance if my question is not related to this list topic.

Certainly on topic for this list.

> I'm using an sgi workstation running irix (sgi unix), a wacom tablet with a
> wacom irix driver. I tried to use my tablet with gimp. Unfortunately, when
> configuring gimp to recognize my tablet, using the "File -> Dialogs -> Input
> Devices" window, I get the following error message :
>
> gxid_lib: can't connect to 127.0.0.1:6951
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: Could not get device (is gxid running?)
>
> Do you know what does this mean ?
> Thank you very much for your help.

Well, note the warning in GTK+'s README:

====
The --with-xinput flag specifies whether to compile with support
for the XInput extension (mainly used for graphics tablets), and
which form of support to use:

  no    : no support
  xfree : Use special features in the Wacom drivers in XFree86 3.3.1
          and later.
  gxi   : Use generic XInput support (not recommended)

The XInput support is not known to work with any other XServer than
XFree86. For more information about XInput, see:
====

The gxi support was added for and tested with versions of XFree86
older than 3.3.1, and hasn't been tested at all for several
years.

That being said, what the message means is that you need to start the
'gxid' programming that was built and installed with GTK+ when you
compile --with-xinput=gxi.

The gxid program is responsible for switching a graphics tablet
between controlling the core pointer and sending extended
input events that GTK+ and the GIMP can interpret for getting
pressure/tilt information.

Regards,
                                        Owen