Re: good one...

Have a look at the test_file.c example of the GtkImageViewer widget
at http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/freesw/gtk/gtk-image-viewer .
It does exactly what you are looking for:

   * sets up a top level window
   * sets up a policy for it through gtk_window_set_policy()
   * creates an image viewing widget
   * resizes it
   * loads an image into the image viewing widget

Hope this helps,
Dov