Initial timestamps

Can anyone give me pointers to some code that uses the function:
gdk_input_motion_events() ?

I've searched the mail.gnome.org archive, grep`d the source of gsumi, and
searched with google, but I can't find any reference to the function
except in the API documentation.

I've checked the API documentation, which tells me how to use the
function, but I can't work out how to get an initial timestamp for the
start and stop parameters.

Any suggestions of examples, or just how to get the current timestamp in
the format used by gdk_input_motion_events, much appriciated.

Thanks.

Tim Butler
Int: 3362
Ext: 01707 - 286362