Re: on CVS of Feb 1, 8:20am

Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> writes:

> DirectFB is not adding hardware accel to the linux-fb port, but a
> hardware abstraction layer that allows you to write code for the
> linux framebuffer that benefits from the capabilities of your gfx
> hardware or uses a software fallback if the desired function can
> not be mapped to hardware. Then, on top of DirectFB, there's our
> gdk-directfb backend.
>
> The decision was made not to release this code before it has reached
> a mature state. I can not do anything about this, but promise that
> you will get access to the source soon.

Sure. Keep in mind though:

 - we aren't going to take this _and_ the linux-fb backend into CVS;
   they are functionally equivalent. So they need to merge if you
   want to send this upstream. If DirectFB has an appropriate
   license and no real disadvantages, replacing linux-fb with it
   would be sane.

 - we don't currently have any sane way to build and deploy a GDK
   target out of the GTK tree, so you may at least want hooks for that
   upstream.

 - if you want any kind of upstream changes to support this in 2.0,
   you only have a short time to release source :-(

We do really want hardware accel in the linux-fb port, and will have
to do that work ourselves if we can't use your stuff. :-(

Anyway, looks cool, just want to be sure you are aware of the
situation wrt upstream merging.

Havoc