How do you set the complete CList's background color?

I've tried several methods involving fiddling with styles and gc's but I can't
seem to find anything to set the complete CList's background color (excluding
the column titles).  gtk_clist_set_background() leaves little white lines
between every row and a white area if your CList is shorter than the available
space.  This is hard on the eyes.

I already have a copied style pointer for the CList which I use to modify the
font.  I can set the font field of the style and use gtk_widget_set_style(),
but the following code snippet doesn't seem to do anything:

style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] = color; /* I also tried every other field of
					every GtkStyle GdkColor array. */
gtk_widget_set_style(GTK_WIDGET(cl), style);

The analogous works correctly for fonts:

style->font = font;
gtk_widget_set_style(GTK_WIDGET(cl), style);

Any ideas?

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts