please help...gdk crashes a lot

hello,

A while back when the newest (at the time) pan was released (0.10.0, I believe) it required gtk 1.2.10. I decided to upgrade to glib 1.2.10 as well (from 1.2.8 for both gtk and glib).  Ever since doing that I can't run Pan at all and I can't do hardly anything in Gnumeric before I get the following error:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)

For pan i get the following error:
Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)

For Gnumeric I also get this error:
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkpixmap.c: line 823 (gdk_pixmap_unref): assertion `private->ref_count > 0' failed.
 But i believe this is possibly from a bug from the developers but I could be wrong.

The pan error has a differnt serial value but teh GDK error itself is the same, invalid pixmap parameter. I was receiving another error with Pan about assertion (filemarker != NULL) failed but that was fixed by one of the pan developers but the above errors still remain.

I recently upgraded gcc to 2.96 and glibc to 2.2.4-19. I don't know if these are to blame or not. Can anyone give me a hint as to how to fix hte problem? I've gone thru what messages I have of the mailing list but have not seen anyone bring this problem up. Would upgrading to a newer version be of some help?

Note that Pan runs perfectly fine as root but under my username I get the GDK error, sames seems to go for Gnumeric: as root it runs great. As root different theme is applied to app windows and I thought maybe gtk-engines was to blame but I upgraded that to 0.12 from 0.8 and nothing changed. What the hell could be wrong?

Thanks for any help. I'm desperate to get gnumeric and pan stable and executing.
brandon