changing a gtk_option_menu

Hello,

I'm trying to develop software that creates uses a gtk_option_menu to list a
set of options for the user to click on. The problem is, that some options
will not be available to all users, depending on a varible that is set, and
that varible can be changed from within that window. Is there any way to
change a gtk_option_menu after it has been set ?? So far I have created the
different possible static menus, then I tried removing them
(gtk_option_menu_remove_menu) and resetting them with
gtk_option_menu_set_menu, nested within if statements from that function
call. This does not seem to produce the desired output (considering it
crashes my program). Any help or pointer to some documentation that explains
this would be much appreciated... Thanks

Sincerely,
Randy