managing app windows

Hi,

I have several questions that I know someone is going to tell me are
window manager issues, none the less, it seems like the app developer
should have some control over them.

I have a toplevel dialog I do not want the user to destroy using window
decorations, they should however be able to iconize the widget. I found
a function
gtk_hide_on_destroy  that sounds like what I want - however it doesnīt
seem to do anything...

If the user has iconized the window and then does something in the
application which refers to that window I would like to open it and
place it on top, anyone know how I can do this?  I have tried
experiments with several signals but apparently havenīt stumbled across
the right one(s) yet.

Thanks,
Jim