Re: debugging and gtk

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Jim Edwards <jimedwards altavista com> writes:
> >
> > When running under gdb I often find that when the run stops at a break
> > point or because the program has crashed that my mouse focus is īstuckī
> > in the last gtk window in use and that I canīt get back to the gdb
> > interface in my xterm.
> > I have to go login remotely and kill the process.
> > Is there a way to unstick the focus or otherwise prevent this from
> > happening.
> >

> One useful trick is to debug inside an Xnest.
>
> Havoc

Okay, this is a new one for me.   It looks like I need to update my Xfree86
version to install it.  Then I would start the Xnest and run the debugger
outside of it with the display set so that my application windows run under
it?  Or do I run the debugger inside the Xnest in which case it seems like I
still have the same problem but can kill the process without going to
another machine?   I just want to understand just what Iīll gain  before I
go through the pain of updating XFree86.

Thanks,
Jim