Gray scales

Hello.

I am attending a course on digital image processing
but I am new to graphics programming. My first assignment
is to create and display some gray scale images. More
procesely, the images are 64x64 pixels in a gray scale
from 0 (black) to 63 (white), that is, with 64 levels
of gray.

I decided to use GTK+. Looking in its reference manual,
I have found the GdkRGB module, which can be used to
display RGB, grayscale and colormapped images to a native
window. I have experimented with it a litle and have come
to the conclusion that its gray scale has 256 levels,
ranging from 0 to 255.

Is there any way to work with other gray scales with
GTK+?

Any help?

Thanks.

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias <romildo uber com br> <romildo iceb ufop br>
Departamento de Computação - Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto