Re: Consuming X resources?

"Eric M. Monsler" <emonsler beamreachnetworks com> writes:
> What type of Gtk or Gdk actions cause X resources to be allocated, which
> must be released?

Any number of them; typically creating pixmaps, windows, etc.

Note that X growing in top may not indicate a bug. It may just be
server-side optimizations (keeping memory cached), or memory
fragmentation, or who knows. Then again it might be a bug. There's no
telling.

> How do people debug this type of issue?  Is there some Gdk switch that
> can show all X allocations?  ('allocations' may not be the right word
> for X, but you know what I mean)

Nearly always if you are leaking X resources you also have to be
leaking the GDK "handle" to that resource. I can't think of exceptions
offhand.

It would be nice if X servers had some sort of support for debugging
this, but I don't think they do.

Havoc